Friday, August 22, 2008

Progressive Deism vs. Progressive Christianity

I have some links to Progressive Christian sites here on my blog. I do this because I am a Deist that is married to a Christian and sometimes I attend and I am active in a Christian church. This for many Deists would be unbearable but I have found some enjoyment in the process.

However, I don't walk in and stop being a Deist.

My beliefs are important to me and I don't mind expressing them when the time is right. This can be rough in a Christian setting depending on the Christians involved and the beliefs that they have. Luckily for me, the church I attend is diverse with everything from the traditionalist to the Progressive.

Which leads to the point of this post.

My goal here to show that Progressive Deism and Progressive Christianity share many beliefs regarding God and other theological aspects. Many PCs don't believe in an intervening God. Many PCs don't believe that God performs miracles. Many PCs believe that God does not human like nature.

There are many others beyond these.

The difference really comes down to focus. PDs focus on reason and nature while PCs focus on Jesus and the Bible.

So, when I enter the church I am a PD who allows himself to shift my focus to Jesus and the Bible but I use reason as my yardstick for evaluating what is being stated. Overall, this has worked well for me with only a few complications along the way.

To be fair, Progressive Christianity is very broad in nature and there are those PCs that would not agree with my list and some would even argue there is not God but overall we have many similarities and those are more important than the differences especially when engaging in community.

47 comments:

Joel said...

This is one of the better posts I've seen on the subject. :)

John said...

Your writing looks familiar. Did you used to blog as "the Methodeist"?

The Progressive Deist said...

Joel,

Thanks for the compliment.

John,

Yes, I am MethoDeist. I decided to throw that blog out as it did not really have a direction (at least the direction I wanted).

I still read your blog everyday but I have decided not to post on the Christian aspects as those are for Christians and I don't feel that I contribute that much to the conversation. However, being a zombie lover means that I will post on your zombie posts.

Joe

Son of Liberty said...

PD,

Like you, I am also married to a church-goer. I enjoyed reading your post.

Bobbertsan said...

Enjoyed the post. You have a nice website here.

oneblood said...

It must be difficult to hold to your values amidst not just believers in another philosophy but another culture as well.

Kudos to you.

唱歌 said...

喜樂的心是健康良藥,憂傷的靈使骨枯乾。 ..................................................

皮膚 said...

I do like ur article~!!! ........................................

lady said...

如果你不思考未來,你便不會有未來..................................................

長宜芳修 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

明儒明儒 said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

嘉容嘉容 said...

haha~ funny! thank you for your share~ ........................................

湖聿湖聿 said...

凡是遇到困擾的問題,不要把它當作可怕的,討厭的,無奈的遭遇,而要把它當作歷練、訓練和幫助。......................................................

ac21f2d2 said...

Such attentively manages your ~
...................................................

子凌50529nealsickles said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical.........................................

怡婷 said...

先將一個人的生活過好,才有能力過好兩個人的生活........................................

祐誠 said...

君子遇窮困,則德益進,道益通。 ..................................................

730A_ngelinaRabideau0 said...

我喜歡用心經營的blog~ ^^........................................

林雅婷 said...

好中意你的BLOG阿~加油!........................................

Is依來raelS_Fargo0706依來 said...

All good things come to an end...................................................

宛AshleyRemley1218儒 said...

A liar is not believed when he speaks the truth...................................................

burkere said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼..................................................

宛齊陳 said...

失去金錢的人,失去很多;失去朋友的人,失去更多;失去信心的人,失去所有。..................................................................

林志宏 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。....................................................................

法宇 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德.................................................................

皇銘 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

星美星美 said...

Hello~Nice meet you~~............................................................

賢林賢林 said...

這麼好的部落格,以後看不到怎麼辦啊!!..................................................................

新順 said...

困難的不在於新概念,而在於逃避舊有的概念。............................................................

佳皓佳皓 said...

A friend in need is a friend indeed...................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

要經常發表文章 最愛你了呦..................................................

黃威宇 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤............................................................

蔡靜芳蔡靜芳 said...

在你一無所有的時候 是誰在陪伴你 他便是你最重要的人............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人生像一杯茶,若一飲而盡,會提早見到杯底..................................................

宮惠如宮惠如 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today..................................................................

呈婷呈婷呈婷呈婷 said...

良好的開端,已是成功的一半。..................................................

懿馮綺懿馮綺懿馮綺懿馮綺懿馮綺 said...

Learning makes life sweet.

怡謝伶 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

凱許倫 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗..................................................

文陳秀文陳秀 said...

Pen and ink is wits plough...................................................................

倪平 said...

原來這世上能跟你共同領略一個笑話的人竟如此難得......................................................................

信陳定 said...

祝福你人氣不減ˊˇˋ............................................................

于庭吳 said...

祝福大家開開心心。............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

我來湊熱鬧的~~^^ 要平安快樂哦..................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

好熱鬧喔 大家踴躍的留言 讓部落格更有活力..................................................

千TatianaCallan惠 said...

善言能贏得聽眾,善聽才能贏得朋友。......................................................................

建彰建彰 said...

無名相簿正妹親密照片 超人氣童顏正妹 正妹無名相簿分享 正妹貼圖區 正妹星球 百大正妹 北科正妹牆